Friday, May 9, 2008

BOYS ARE GREAT!

I got this email from my sister the other day. It made me laugh and made me feel better and I thought it'd be fun to share it. Also, just to clarify...It's not that I don't like little boys or think that I couldn't love a boy, I KNOW I will adore him! But boys certainly are different from little girls and there are a few things that scare me out of my mind. However, as I've had some time for it to all sink in, I am finding myself getting more and more excited. So here's part of my sister's email and the 10 ten list of things she came up with to look forward to with a baby boy:

Per Noelle:
"Just remember, you HAVE to have a sense of humor! Here it goes:

10. Little boys like to stick things up their noses (beans, m&m's, dog food). Sounds gross, and it will freak you out, but looking back, you'll laugh about it!

9. Little boys are drawn to mud and puddles. They get wet and dirty after you've reminded them not to, but it's innate, and you learn to appreciate how they are created.

8. Little boys do not whine. They may yell, holler, and scream to get your attention, but they do not whine!

7. They climb. Anything they can. It may require trips to the emergency room when they've cut themselves open, but they just can't help it. And you learn to appreciate their athleticism and cute little muscular legs.

6. Little boys look so handsome when they get a haircut (by a REAL barber, not by mom). The barber combs their little bangs over and they look like little men in little boy bodies.

5. They don't care AT ALL what they wear! They have no concept of matching. They don't even care if their shirts are inside out AND backwards. There is never a fuss over what they will wear to school that day. If mom lays it out, they put it on.

4. Have I mentioned the hair? In the summer, you just shave their heads to keep them cool. That makes combing hair really easy! No standing in front of the mirror to get it "just right."

3. There is no such thing as an accessory. No belts, bracelets, matching hairbows, or even shoes. In fact, little boys only need two pairs of shoes: one for play and one for church.

2. You get to be a real soccer mom. Sure, you could be a soccer mom with little girls, but something tells me it's just not the same. There's something so fun about driving a car full of little boys to a baseball or soccer game.

1. They love their moms more than anything in the world. They may get upset at times, but they get over it quickly. When they are hurt or sad or sick, all they want is to be in their mom's arms. There is never a question as to whether a little boy loves his mom!

Okay, so there it is. I could go on and on. I'm very excited for you. I always say it only takes one shopping trip to get excited about your baby!"


Thank you Noelle! I have read this SEVERAL times since you sent it the other day! A few other things I have been told or thought about that I look forward to...

"You are in for an education!" ~ Our pediatrician, Dr. Wardell
"If they aren't hitting or kicking it, they are jumping off of it!" ~ Inga
"Camping trips, peeing on the wall, or peeing your name in the sand…Remarkable things that only little boys can do!" ~ Anjanette
My mom pointed out to me that this is my little priesthood holder. That excites me! I'm going to have my own missionary! And I will also have someone (besides Dave!) to help get the nasty bugs out that find their way in the house (except for when he's the one bringing them in!). And he won't change clothes 10 times a day like other members of our family like to do! And Dave will finally have someone to help with his house chores, like mowing the lawn! Even better, Dave will have a sidekick to teach all the cool things that he knows about...like fixing cars and other "manly" things! Mostly, I am banking on having a momma's boy that thinks the world revolves around me! My girls do now, but I don't know how long that will last. I have 2 brothers that are still big time momma's boys, so I know that it can last a lifetime! It's one less wedding to pay for and one more mission to pay for! And though he is a little brother, my girls will still have a protective brother that will always want what's best for them!

I'm sure I will be able to come up with even more as time goes on. Thanks to all of you that have been so excited for me and shared your enthusiasm! It's contagious! I can't wait!

8 comments:

Cook Family said...

Those are cute. It's got to be fun to buy for a boy too. They do seem to have a special bond with their mamas, which I LOVE.

The Martone Memories said...

1-10 all true. Check out my blog with the picture of Sam wearing the bunny slippers, he just got a haircut and he looks like a little man now. I love having my ONE boy, hope it stays at just ONE. You will LOVE it too. Believe me, I was just as scared as you are now.

Hmachine said...

I love that e-mail. It's soooo true. Boys energy for life is infectious!!! :)

Toni Dee! said...

Ok - so my boy doesn't completely fit the this mold, but he is wonderful and I can't wait for his brother to join our pack . . . there's not a day he doesn't make me smile!

Meridith said...

First of all, congrats on having your 1st boy. That's fun and exciting to have a boy. I would say boys are so cuddly and loving. The differences between boys and girls are so much fun to see.

Misty said...

Hi, I appreciate your post. I was a little shocked when I found out we were having a boy too. This is going to be a great learning experience.

Unknown said...

I gave Jeff his "summer haircut" on Saturday- I saw that on the top ten list about boys and had to laugh because it obviously extends clear into adulthood. You are such a good mommy to your little princesses that I can't wait to see you as mom to your own "little missionary". Now if you can just survive a summer pregnancy... let me know if you ever need a break or a nap!

Lisa said...

So cute...Noelle hasn't reached the "older boy" like I have with my boys. The hair, clothes, and shoes issues will change!