Monday, April 14, 2008

Texas Luau Campout!


This weekend was the first ward activity I've planned since being called as the Activites Chairman. We had a Texas style luau campout...and it was so much fun! We went to Murrell Heritage at Grapevine Lake; it was so beautiful there and the most perfect weekend for camping. We told everyone to come in their hawaiian shirts and cowboy boots. Dave was a really good sport about wearing matching shirts! He didn't complain about it once! So, we greeted everyone as they arrived with "Aloha!" and a lei and got the activities going around 6:30. We had fun music going and did a hula hoop contest, the limbo, had hula lessons and then a hula contest. The kids painted prayer rocks and we played a fun get to know our new bishopric game around the campfire, and then roasted marshmallows and sang songs. I think the night was mostly settled down by midnight and then we all froze to death in our tents! It was SOOO cold! My family didn't get any sleep...Ava had a very difficult time and cried off and on for the better part of the night. By about 2 am we took her out of the pack and play and she slept on top of Dave. Dave said we were his heat suckers for the night! But I would think that with Ava on top of him and me smashed up against him he would have kept nice and toasty warm all night! I don't know how, but Dave never seems to be cold. I on the other hand am always cold, so it's nice to have my own personal space heater in bed! So anyways, Ava was up and down all night long and at one point when Dave and I were both actually asleep at the same time, we were awakened by Ella screaming "Get her off of me!" I guess Ava didn't like that everyone was sleeping and she wanted to play! I had to get up about 7 to get breakfast going for the ward. We all warmed up around the fire, ate a yummy breakfast and then started to pack up. Overall I think the activity was a huge success and I was glad we had such a great turnout. Even though I am not the most avid camper and the thought of having to go somewhere with no water and an outhouse for a restroom makes me utterly disgusted, we had a great time and I am looking forward to another campout soon! So, here are a few pictures...


I normally would have gotten more pics of my girls but I was so busy trying to run the activity that I missed several great shots of them. So when Ella gets home from school today I am going to dress them back up in their hawaiian outfits so you can see how cute they were!


If you click on this picture of Ava to make it bigger, you will see her little scratched up forehead and nose. Even when she's buckled in, she has learned how to wiggle her way out of her stroller. She did, stood up backwards in it, and tipped the stroller over. She biffed it hard...poor baby. She literally ate dirt. (I guess we'll wait to get the pictures made we were going to do this week!)



How low can YOU go?! Had we a prize for the limbo, it definitely should have gone to Jeff. He was awesome!



Hula lessons with Rita (they moved here recently from Hawaii and were perfect for teaching us!)



I know this picture is really dark, but these girls were cracking me up! They were such good sports! I love you Nikki, Toni, and Bridget!



Blake was awesome at this...the kids LOVED it!


Isn't it a beautiful morning?!

6 comments:

Kevin, Amber & Jake said...

this was so fun and im glad we did it! i think people liked the theme too! i have only heard good things about it from people! a success!

Cook Family said...

You did a great job! It was fun! I'm glad it finally stopped raining, and there was a huge turnout.

Toni Dee! said...

Great job! So glad we got to come and thanks so much for all the hard work - you are awesome!

Unknown said...

Thanks. For the picture of me up there! Trying to hula! I have a CD for you of all of the pictures Jeff and I took. You did a really good job. Thanks for all the hard work, time and effort- it was soooo much fun!

Hmachine said...

How fun. I wish we could have been there!!!!! :) We like camping a lot. :)

Shelly Kenison said...

wow that looks like it was a ton of fun. Great pictures.