Saturday, April 25, 2009

Is fear a factor for you?

Last night's ward activity was so fun (if I do say so myself!). We played Family Fear Factor. Since Dave and I were busy running the activity, I enlisted the help of Aunt Lisa and Uncle Richie. They were so great about taking our 3 kids and letting them be a part of their family team for the night. There were 8 challenges, each with a scriptural reference. And I'm going to share them all with you because I thoroughly enjoyed it all!

1. Pearl or Great Price - Matthew 13:45-46 - There was a mix of yummy jelly beans combined with nasty flavored ones (toothpaste, vomit, pencil shavings, baby wipes, moldy cheese, booger, ear wax, black pepper, rotten egg, skunk spray). Everyone had to guess what flavor they got!

2. Pickin' Out the Tares - Matthew 13:24-29 - Teams were blindfolded and had to feel through a bowl of uncooked rice with spiders and paper clips mixed in. Each paper clip they found was worth points. Try it; it's harder than you think!



3. Pluck Out Thine Eye! - Mark 9:47 - Using cherry filled eyeball gum (that "ooozes blood" when bitten into) teams had to chew it up. First person to blow a bubble won the points for their team.



4. Dregs of a Bitter Cup - Alma 40:26 - Mormon version of whiskey shot glasses! 1 team member had to drink 4 cups with 1 tbsp of lemon juice concentrate each as fast as they could.



5. One Heart, One Mind; Hearts Knit Together - Mosiah 18:21 - Human Knot. First team untangled wins. (I didn't get pictures of this because I was feeding Drews at the time!)

6. At Least it's Not Locusts - Mark 1:6 - One team member feeds another team member a jar of baby food. First team done wins the points for this challenge.









7. David and Goliath - Team members shoot marshmallows with slingshots through hula hoops! Each marshmallow that makes it through is worth points!







8. Fiery Darts of the Adversary - Ephesians 6:13,16 - One person holds the shield of faith, covered in shaving cream. Other team members throw cheetos one at a time and try to make them stick to the shield. Each cheeto that stuck was worth points.





Refreshments were pudding dirt cups with gummy worms and prizes were mini loaves of bread with a bookmark with a picture of Christ that said "There's no need to FEAR when you have faith in the "Bread of Life!"

It was SUCH a fun night and the best part for me was looking around and seeing everyone laughing and having fun together as a family. I think we might do this (maybe an altered version) for a family home evening one night so Dave and I can participate with the kids!
And here are a few pictures of Ava, just because! This girl marches to the beat of her own drum. She had a great time picking up and eating marshmallows and cheetos off the ground throughout the evening. So to keep her from eating off the ground I finally gave her her own bag of cheetos!

6 comments:

Cook Family said...

It was really fun! You all did a great job planning it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the planning with this one! It was great to see everyone laughing and competing as a family and I thought it was a blast!

joana said...

this activity seriously rocked holly! we had a blast!

Erickson Fam said...

That was such a fun activity!!! We laughed SO hard... nothing like eating a baby wipe to get things started. ha! Guess it could have been worse..
Thank you so much for all the hard work and planning it took.

The Martone Memories said...

I was so sad to miss this one! Brad was flying in right in the middle of it after being gone for a week!

Wendy Crow said...

Great activity to go out on!